Tuesday, January 5, 2021

The Twelfth Day of Christmas

The Twelfth Day of Christmas

Author Note: Readings are proper from January 5 before Epiphany

1 John 3:11-21; Psalm 100; John 1:43-51

Beloved: This is the message you have heard from the beginning: we should love one another.
1 John 3:11

Merry Twelfth Day of Christmas!

When I was three years old I was taught to memorize that beloved verse from scripture, John 3:16.  I was raised as a Pentecostal and taught the scripture from the King James Version.  In that old English my little voice would recite: “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”  My grandmother would have me recite this verse for her class.  I’m glad I don’t actually have memories of that.  But I’m even more glad that my parents and grandparents taught me that verse.

We’ve about reached the end of our journey.  We began nearly twelve days ago with the wonder of Christmas.  We talked about the Baby, and God’s plan.  We spoke of Mary, and Anna.  We talked of John, the beloved disciple who penned those immortal words.  We visited God’s redemptive plan in Christ and talked about His complete victory over the Devil.  But now we come to the apex of it all.  Where does it all lead?  What is the point of it all?  Love!

The thing that set the whole plan in motion was love.  That which brought Christ to earth was love.  The goal is that we can forever live with God in love.  It’s truly all about love.  The message of Christmas is love.  So when we hear John state in today’s first reading that we are to love one another he is echoing the message of Christmas.  Wherever love is on display it truly is Christmas all year long.

This is the message we have to carry to the world.  We are to love as He loved.  Which is to say, that we are to love with selfless, sacrificial giving.  He gave His life for us.  We demonstrate His love when we lay down our lives for one another.  And this doesn’t only happen when one person literally dies to save someone else.  It happens daily, moment by moment, when we choose to die to our rights, our plans, and our dreams so that someone else may have theirs.

I’ve often thought it an odd custom that we give gifts to each other on Jesus’ birthday.  Imagine if that’s how people celebrated your birthday: they gave gifts to each other instead of to you.  What fun would there be in that?  However, what could you possibly give to Jesus?  I suggest that the many gifts of love we give to one another are given to Him.  “When you did it for one of the least of these, my brothers, you did it for Me.”  Jesus is pleased when we offer such gifts, not only on His birthday, but every day.

And so we bring our 12 days of Christmas to a close.  I hope this has been a blessing to you in some small way.  It was a joy for me to share these thoughts with you.  I appreciate the comments that I received, and your love in encouraging me as I write these reflections. 

Now, there’s one thing more.  Tomorrow we celebrate Epiphany.  This was “Christmas” before there was Christmas.  Epiphany commemorates, among other things, the visit of the Magi with their gifts for the infant, Jesus.  This was the day customarily reserved for gift giving.  The night before Epiphany was the night of the Twelfth Day of Christmas and became known as Twelfth Night.  It was like Epiphany Eve.  If you’ve been journeying with us for the Twelve Days of Christmas then don’t stop short.  Celebrate Epiphany with us tomorrow.  I will return to offer my final reflection of these festive days. Until then…

Merry Christmas!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These twelve days have been fun. Thanks for your reflections.
--Jim K