Saturday, September 12, 2020

Hugging Anger

Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Year A

Sirach 27:30-28:7; Psalm 103; Romans 14:7-9; Matthew 18:21-35

Wrath and anger are hateful things, yet the sinner hugs them tight.
Sirach 27:30

This week we had our annual remembrance of the tragic events of 9/11.  If you were old enough at the time to understand what was happening on that day then you, like me, probably re-live it to some degree or another every time the anniversary comes around.  I find that I have two primary reactions: grief and anger.

I am grieved because men could be so full of hate and so blinded by deception as to think that God was actually the author of their plans.  I grieve further for the many lives that were lost that day.

But then there’s the anger.  The terrorists apparently had the goal of bringing death, destruction, and grief to our nation.  But they had nothing to personally gain.  They would not become rich, they would not conquer the United States, they would not gain power, or even prestige in the eyes of the global community. 

We are constantly told not to judge, but one can’t help but wonder what the Particular Judgment was like for those men.  We can’t know their eternal destiny, but from all appearances we would expect that they died outside the state of grace.  It’s here that I have a confession to make.  The anger over their actions leads me to believe that they deserved hell, and furthermore, I’m glad if they got it.

That’s a horrific confession.  How can I, who believe God has called me to preach salvation for the souls of others take delight in the death of the wicked?  If God doesn’t, how can I?  It is here that I hear the Lord speaking to me.

Sirach says that wrath and anger are hateful things.  This is the Lectionary rendering.  If you look it up in your Bible it’s even stronger.  It says they are abominations. 

In today’s Gospel our Lord gives us a very graphic picture about the priority of forgiveness.  He tells a parable about a man who owed a ruler more than he could ever pay back in his life.  So the ruler was merciful and forgave the man his entire debt.  But then the man found someone who owed him a small amount of money.  He demanded payment in full and when the other man couldn’t pay, he was thrown into prison along with his family. 

Now here’s the twist.  The townspeople, seeing what had happened, and recognizing the injustice of it, went and told the ruler.  The man was instantly summoned to the ruler to give an account.  “You wicked servant!” he said.  “I forgave you your entire debt because you begged me to. 
Should you not have had pity on your fellow servant, as I had pity on you?” 

Now watch carefully what happens.  The entire debt of the first man was reinstated and he was thrown into prison.  He would never be able to pay the debt.  He would die in prison.  And listen to our Lord’s conclusion: “So will my heavenly Father do to you, unless each of you forgives your brother from your heart.”

Here’s what He’s saying.  If we don’t forgive others then God won’t forgive us.  The debt we owe to God is immense and it makes any debt someone else owes us miniscule by comparison.  While our sins may have been washed away in Baptism and forgiven in the Eucharist or Reconciliation, our entire debt is reinstated if we refuse to offer forgiveness to others.

Now at this point it’s worth talking about exactly what forgiveness is and isn’t.  Let’s start with the latter.

Forgiveness is not somehow saying that was done to us is ok.  It’s not ok.  It isn’t somehow to justify the perpetrator.  That is, unfortunately, how our society looks at it now.  “Oh, well they probably had an abusive childhood so they don’t know any better.”  Or, “They were suffering from depression, or some other mental illness.”  The list goes on.  It doesn’t take the sting out of the wrong done.  Sure, there are times when there are mitigating factors.  But more often than not, it’s simply because we are sinners at heart and when we allow the sin nature to get the upper hand we will inevitably do something that hurts others.

Forgiveness doesn’t mean all is well and we should just go on with life.  It means a true injustice has been done and that’s why there’s something to forgive.  To forgive doesn’t mean we shouldn’t look for justice, or that we shouldn’t take measures to ensure safety.  If someone is in an abusive relationship the first thing they need to do is get away.  If that leads to divorce, or separation from parents then it does.  But in the midst of it all Christ still calls us to forgive and there’s a particular reason why.  It’s because His grace gives us the ability to forgive.  When we forgive we demonstrate His love to the world.

Let me come back to the 9/11 attackers.  I need to forgive them in my heart.  They’re dead and neither my wrath, nor my forgiveness will benefit them.  Their fates are sealed and they are in the hands of God.  But if I allow the anger and bitterness of that day to seize control of my heart then I forfeit all the grace God offers and I become a debtor again.

This doesn’t mean I can’t acknowledge the heinousness of their crimes.  It doesn’t in any way justify their actions.  And were we to find others who were complicit with them it would not keep me from insisting that justice be carried out and those people answer for their crimes.  It just means that I offer mercy instead of judgment.  Judgment I leave to the Lord.

We all have similar issues in our lives.  In this fallen world it’s virtually impossible to make it through without having something calling for forgiveness.  Please don’t make the mistake of hardening your heart and thinking that somehow this is getting back at the perpetrator.  It’s not.  It’s just cutting you off from God’s grace.

One final note: forgiveness does not mean that we need to feel anything.  When someone has hurt us it will take some time- possibly a lifetime- until we can work through the emotion.  But in our will we have the capacity to choose to forgive.  And the more we make that choice the more forgiveness takes hold of our heart instead of bitterness.

Years ago I was angry about another matter in which I wondered where justice was.  The Lord spoke quietly, but firmly to my heart: “Justice is in the same place it was for you- at the cross!  There I bore all the sins of humankind.”  I was humbled.  The same holds true for this circumstance.  I am not God.  I have no right to call for justice when I am in such need of forgiveness myself.

Listen to Sirach again.  “Wrath and anger are hateful things, yet the sinner hugs them tight.”  Don’t hug wrath and bitterness.  They are no friends.  They will destroy your soul in the end.  Instead, allow the Spirit of Christ to take hold; the One who prayed, “Father, forgive them.”

 

 

No comments: