Saturday, January 9, 2010

Reality Check

I obviously have no time to keep a blog. Still, there are times like today when it's nice to have the outlet of writing something down.

Recently, my wife and I watched a movie entitled A Man Called Peter. It is the story of Peter Marshall who became chaplain of the U.S. Senate in the late '40's. Peter Marshall was an exceptional preacher and there are some great excerpts from his sermons in the movie.

We've seen this movie many times before. But this time I was struck by how real Peter Marshall made Christ to the people. It is a characteristic I want to adopt. But going on from there I began to realize that what makes this work is being real.

I would like to think of myself as being more pious than I really am. But I want to be honest with myself, and others, about who and what I really am. I think I can make better progress by honestly admitting my failings rather than pretending they don't exist. My hope, is that I will find that, by God's grace, I am indeed progressing to the person I hope to become- a thoroughly real Christian.

No comments: