Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Do We Care?

This morning I am pondering the sacrifice of our Lord. How I wish I was not the cause of His death! Like Peter, I am prone to say, "Lord, You will never wash my feet!" But, of course, His reply is the same as it was for Peter. "If I do not wash you, you have no part with me." The phrase is intended to recall our baptism. Baptism is tied to the cross. We are buried with Christ, and raise with Him to newness of life. All of this means that because we are sinners, we are in dire need, moment by moment, of the Grace that flows from His cross. None of us are exempt. Each of us must participate in, and receive from, Christ's sacrifice if we are to have any hope of salvation.

This is a humbling position. I would rather work this out on my own. I do not like the feeling of being in the debt of someone else, even if it is God. But that is where we are. We are sinners! That means we are beggars before the well of Grace. If our Lord does not provide us with His life-giving water, then we perish. There is no other hope.

Having said that, I must also deal with the other side of things. That is, a presumption on God's Grace. Do I care that He has given Himself for me? When I go on willfully sinning, assuming on His Grace, I show that I really do not care. How this must grieve, and even anger, the heart of God!

I pray that I will ponder His sacrifice more and more. In doing so, I hope that I will make much more of an effort to overcome sin. As I do, I ask for an outpouring of God's Grace. May we all do the same as we bear witness to the awesome love and matchless Grace of our God in our Lord Jesus Christ!

No comments: